The Lackawanna Cutoff - Then & Now

Johnsonburg, NJ


Johnsonburg 1913

Johnsonburg station as it looked in March of 1913. This location featured two sidings and a creamery, in addition to one of the DL&W's attractive and robust concrete depots. Both were built on a large fill, under which ran a cluvert with a small road. Note the sidings with period rolling stock, and the large rock cut in the background. Today, this rock cut appears differently, as it was re-dug and angled after a rock slide blocked the mainline many years ago.

Photo from The Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad in the Twentieth Century by Thomas Taber and Thomas Taber III, published by Steamtown Volunteer Association, 1998.

Johnsonburg 2002

The fate of the Johnsonburg depot is similar to that of its counterparts in Blairstown and Greendel. Looking east in January 2002, the station remains standing in what appears to be sound structural condition. The creamery no longer stands.

This page was written by Anthony R. Tofani
Anthony@GSMRRClub.org
Last Updated February 23, 2005
 
For information about the GSMRRClub, feel free to contact us!
Info@GSMRRClub.org

Top of Page
Back to the Lackawanna Cutoff Index
Back to the Local History Page
 
Visit the GSMRRClub Homepage

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional